Percutaneous mechanical thrombectomy combined with catheter-directed thrombolysis in the treatment of symptomatic lower extremity deep venous thrombosis.
Eur J Radiol. 2009 Aug;71(2):350-5
Authors: Shi HJ, Huang YH, Shen T, Xu Q
PURPOSE: To evaluate the efficacy of percutaneous mechanical thrombectomy (PMT) combined with catheter-directed thrombolysis (CDT) in the treatment of massive symptomatic lower limb deep venous thrombosis (DVT). MATERIALS AND METHODS: One hundred and three clinically confirmed DVT patients were discharged from our institution. Sixteen patients with massive lower limb DVT were included in this retrospective study. After prophylactic placement of inferior vena cava filters (IVCFs), percutaneous mechanical thrombectomy (ATD, n=10; Straub, n=6) and catheter-directed thrombolysis were performed in all patients. Complementary therapy included percutaneous transluminal venous angioplasty (PTA, n=3) and stent placement (n=1). The doses of thrombolytic agents, length of hospital stay, peri-procedure complications and discharge status were reviewed. Oral anticoagulation was continued for at least 6 months during follow-up. RESULTS: The average hospital stay was 7 days. The technical success rate (complete and partial lysis of clot) was 89%, the other 11% patients only achieved less than 50% clot lysis. The mean dose of urokinase was 3.3 million IU. There were no significant differences of clinical outcome between the ATD and Straub catheter group. The only major complication was an elderly male who experienced a fatal intracranial hemorrhage while still in the hospital (0.97%, 1/103). Minor complications consisted of three instances of subcutaneous bleeding. No transfusions were required. Vascular patency was achieved in 12 limbs during follow-up. No pulmonary emboli occurred. There is one recurrent DVT 4.5 months after the treatment. CONCLUSIONS: Percutaneous mechanical thrombectomy combined with catheter-directed thrombolysis is an effective and safe method for the treatment of symptomatic DVT. A randomized prospective study is warranted.
PMID: 18524519 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]