Superwarfarin ingestion treated successfully with prothrombin complex concentrate.
Am J Emerg Med. 2016 Jan;34(1):116.e1-2
Authors: Haesloop O, Tillick A, Nichol G, Strote J
Superwarfarin, a common component of rat poison, can cause long-lasting, severe coagulopathy and life-threatening hemorrhage when ingested. We report a case of intentional rat poison consumption with subsequent hemorrhage and hypotension requiring rapid coagulopathy reversal and resuscitation in the emergency department. In addition to traditional blood products, prothrombin complex concentrate was administered. Although prothrombin complex concentrate is increasingly used for severe hemorrhage in anticoagulated patients, it may be particularly useful in superwarfarin ingestions given the extreme, persistent coagulapathies that can occur.
PMID: 26070236 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]