Does admission via an Acute Medical Unit influence hospital mortality? 12 years’ experience in a large Dublin Hospital.

Link to article at PubMed

Does admission via an Acute Medical Unit influence hospital mortality? 12 years' experience in a large Dublin Hospital.

Acute Med. 2014;13(4):152-158

Authors: Coary R, Byrne D, O'Riordan D, Conway R, Cournane S, Silke B

Background: Following an emergency medical admission, patients may be admitted an acute medical assessment unit (AMAU) or directly into a ward. An AMAU provides a structured environment for their initial assessment and treatment. Methods: All emergency admissions (66,933 episodes in 36,271 patients) to an Irish hospital over an 12-year period (2002-2013) were studied with 30-day in-hospital mortality as the outcome measure. Univariate Odds Ratios, by initial patient allocation, and the fully adjusted Odds Ratios were calculated, using a validated logistic regression model. Results: Patients, by design, were intended to be admitted initially to the AMAU (<= 5 day stay). Capacity constraints dictated that only 39.8% of patients were so admitted; the remainder bypassed the AMAU to a ward (60.2%). All patients remained under the care of the admitting consultant/team. We computed the risk profile for each group, using a multiple variable validated model of 30-day in-hospital mortality; the model indicated the same risk profile between these groups. The univariate OR of an in-hospital death by day 30 for a patient initially allocated to the AMAU, compared with an initial ward allocation was 0.76 (95% CI: 0.71, 0.82- p<0.001). The fully adjusted risk for patients was 0.67 (95% CI: 0.62, 0.73- p<0.001). Conclusion: Patients, with equivalent mortality risk, allocated initially to AMAU or a more traditional ward, appeared to have substantially different outcomes.

PMID: 25521085 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.